Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ludum Dare 48 #22: Sol Solo

I know I've forgotten something, but here it is: my first Ludum Dare 48 entry:

Sol Solo title screen
I spent the last few hours scrambling to pack some last-minute polish in. I was cranking out sound effects from a Roland XP-60, frantically paging through the manual for the soundbank listings, punching it into Audacity, saving, hooking up instances.

And there was a ton of worrying about invisible features. Should I hook in Playtomic? Nah, too risky with only 40 minutes to go. A trackback link? Oh yeah, definitely. Sitelocking? Duh, what am I thinking? That'll just backfire. I'll just have to search the net and see where it ends up.

The main game screen.
Man, my head is a bit scattered right now. I'll come back to talk about the experience some more in a while, but I need a break. For now, if you want to see it in action (or even try it and rate it!), here's my LD48 entry page.



5 comments:

  1. Nice game for such a short timeframe! I like the retro/futuristic look. Did you do all the sound yourself? As a side note, I couldn't figure out why sometimes I couldn't pick up an item after moving onto it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doug! Yeah, the sounds are just sound fonts on my synthesizer. And I think the pick-up sound is from DrPetter's sound effect randomizer, sfxr.

    And yeah, the powerup mechanics are a bit confusing at first. You can only pick up one power up for each red star you consume, plus one bonus one to start with. I tried to show it using the asterisk-shaped UI item, but it's still a bit ambiguous.

    Thanks for checking it out, though, and for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing your game, Dan.

    When linking you might as well change the "preview" tag to "rate" in the URL. It'll default to view for anyone not logged into the LD site, but for other LDer's we'll be able to immediately rate it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know. Link changed, thanks for the tip!

    I found your entry just now, and just finished rating it. Well done! The theme interpretation was spot on, and it was a very moody piece. Impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that makes sense. I think I was paying too much attention to where the items were relative to the centre of the square.

    The audio is a really nice fit to the look of the game, especially given the time frame. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete